Tuesday 12 April 2011

Goodyear UK Spirit Of Safety - My Blimp Experience!

UPDATE: 13th July

I've just heard news of the Goodyear blimp crash that happened in Germany yesterday.

The pilot, Mike Nerandzic, was killed. It's passengers were saved.

@documentally recorded an audio interview with Mike Nerandzic on the flight he went on in (similiar to mine below)

Goodyear have released a statement.

To be honest, I feel sick about this news. RIP Mike. My thoughts go out to him, his family and the passengers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a trip in the iconic Goodyear Blimp!

This is the first time in 10 years that the blimp has graced our skies and it has returned with a brand new blimp called Spirit Of Safety.



From March til October the Goodyear Blimp will be visiting 20 European cities, and promoting road safety initiatives.

Do you want some Blimp facts and figures? I've got some for you!

  • The first Goodyear Blimp was built in 1917
  • Amelia Earhart christened the Goodyear Blimp Defender in 1929
  • The Blimp starred in the opening title of James Bond's Goldfinger film in 1964


If you click on the image below you can see a history of the Blimp.



I made a video of my trip on the Blimp.
From landing to taking off, seeing what the ground crew do, meeting one of the pilots, inside the blimp, and it's 'steering' wheels!


All headphone'd up and up in the sky. The views were amazing!

The 'dashboard'.

There are wheels on either side of the pilots chair. I'm not sure if they are used for steering or power.

My official Goodyear Blimp photo taken by Philip Riley
And I even got a certificate! Treasured mementos from a once in a lifetime day.

Many thanks to Connect PR and Goodyear Blimp for the blimping amazing day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...